I have Dragon voice software on my old XP computer. I actually wrote a nifty review about it four years ago at my other blog, which you can read about here. In a nutshell, I haven't really used it for original writing due to having a major mental block in regards to using my semi-wonderful voice (I do elaborate on this in that four year old post). I've also written extensively over the years why I use pen and paper as my preferred method of writing as well as the issues with my hands, of which you can read a nice synopsis of each by clicking on the respective links.
Anyways, last week I wrote about the brilliant idea of writing outside with old computer. I dove headfirst into the deep end of the pond that weekend, like I usually do, details of which can be found here. Last Sunday I bought a 25 foot extension cord and a mini-surge protector and proceeded later that afternoon to do some writing.
Let me tell you, it was not all peaches and creamsicles. It was time consuming, laborious, frustrating and every other nasty adjective you can come up with. But, I persevered and cranked out about a page and a half of rewritten material. However, the other day sadly proved to me that my writing would continue to be those previous adjectives and then some. I decided to do some writing, but after spending about twenty minutes pounding out a total of three very short (about 8 sentences total) paragraphs, I sadly bowed to the realization that my very worst fear was about to come true.
If I wanted to continue pursue this happy medium called writing, then I really needed to use my Dragon software. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
Now less you think I haven't really used my software for writing, I actually did use it for writing. Not original writing though, but more using it for dictation of blog posts (when I had the world wide web on my other computer) and dictating original writing on paper to an original story (roughly 5% of Line 21 was written that way). However, by late 2013, I couldn't even do that anymore as the original headset that came with my software bit the dust and went to that electronic graveyard in the sky.
This past Saturday (June 7th) I bought a headset on clearance from Staples for $10 and road tested it by finishing the rewrite to short story number one for my new novella, and suffice to say, it passed with a B+. I still have two more stories to rewrite, but whereas story number one was basically a tightening/lengthening of sentences and grammar, stories number two and three will be roughly 15% gut job/original rewrite and the remaining 85% will be straight dictation.
The challenge in about a month will be the novella itself, in which it will be 100% gut job/original rewrite/straight dictation. Not looking forward to it, but, it is what it is.
Every once in a great while, it really does suck to be me.
(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.