November 13, 2013

Not Quite Multitasking But More Like Rationing

So here I is, sitting here in front of my computer, trying to think of something to write about, when all of a sudden, in a blink of an eye....

BAM!!!!!

It hits me, or rather, he hits me. The Cliché Man. Startled, it takes but a moment to realize that if I don't think of something toot-sweet to write about, this blog will be overrun by the most annoying and fascinatingly dull clichés known in the English speaking world.

So.

Starting this here blog (for those of you who have been reading my drabs and dribble since 2008 this blog number 6) a few weeks ago has somehow rejuvenated my writing, or rather, just rejuvenated my creativity.

For the past couple of weeks prior to the start of this blog, I've been slowly chipping away at the granddaddy of all of my novellas, the one that some 7 1/2 years later has me talking to you today. It has not been an easy adventure by any stretch of the imagination, as I've had to battle my built in resistance to gutting a previously written story. But, after giving myself one of the drive-by B slappings, I stopped my procrastination and got jiggy wit it.

While I was busy getting jiggy wit it, I started having an epiphany with my blogging. I've read elsewhere that blogging should be fun and stress-free, and if it starts becoming a chore, one should either pack up their computer and stagger off into the sunset or do something about it.

I decided to do something about it.

That something was flashbacking to 2010, when I was having quite a bit of fun blogging and writing at the same time. And the reason why I was able to have fun doing both, was that I was able ration out the time in equal proportions that I spent writing and blogging. Back then, I had a set time frame for writing and a set time frame for blogging, and things worked out great.

But as 2010 turned into 2011, which then turned into 2012 and finally 2013, I found myself blurring the line with increasing frequency, until finally, I wasn't having any fun blogging or writing. So I decided that come another Democrat president or the media turning a blind eye to 8 years worth of blunders, I was going to have fun with both.

What we did to have fun with our writing, was to try something new, specifically, writing to music. So far, it's been going purty good as I managed, with just a few exceptions (Dwight Yoakum for example), to stick with one main genre, hard rock, and a sub-genre or two, new and classic metal. I've also made it a point to play stuff that I really know nothing about, that way, I don't become too distracted by a familiar song.

What we did to have fun with our blogging, is what you see here today. I made the decision to move Cedar's Mountain to chairman emeritus status and start up a brand new blog that would (hopefully) allow me to find my groove again. And so far, the results have been better than what I've expected. I'm no longer stressing about blogging and in fact, have been coming up with a few ideas that allows me to tap into what I enjoy doing in my free time: research.

Thus, end result is that once again, I'm having fun with my blogging and my writing. I've firmly established a set time frame for my writing (weekends) and a set time frame for my blogging (M-F), and I make a concentrated effort not to deviate from each one.

And that, my friends, is the only way I can play both sides at one meaning.

7 comments:

  1. I love Dwight Yoakam! Have you listened to his new album "Three Pears"? It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's neat that your writing is rejuvenated by this new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra: I don't own much in his vast catalog, just a couple of albums. I read a very cool bio of him and I find his music a bit bluesy (which is a good thing). His playing reminds me a bit of Buck Owens as well.

    Lynn: It's been a pretty decent thing so far as it seems that the freshness of a new blog is working as a feeder for my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, cheers! It's not worth it if you are not enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't listen to music when I write- It distracts me because I have to follow it.
    Blogging has been so difficult for me to have fun with since my set-up got messed around with the new ISP.
    I could use more cheer, myself.
    Glad it's easier for you now-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snaggle: For years I would not listen to music while writing, only while editing. But with this latest project, I thought I would shake things up a bit. And since the novella/novel was a bit of a crime story, the music that I listen meshed perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.