May 13, 2014

Turning The Page And The Short Story

Summer is just around the corner here in Connecticut, and this past weekend was no exception. With daytime temps hovering around the lo 80's, that and listening to bluegrass finally inspired to write a short story. Yes, you read correctly, a short story. Full blown with plot and everything. This fun little story can be had at my adult blog, so if you can, take a stroll over to It's Always Saturday In Suburbia and let me know what you think of it.

And now, for the main entrée of this post, we start it off with a video.


This is my debut novel, which in the next few months will be going out of print. Why? Simple basic economics. All businesses need to maximize what they sell. If a product isn't making the grade, the door is opened and for a nominal fee, is given the bum's rush.

Such is the case with my book. My publisher, for which I will always be grateful for taking a chance on me, has been busy retooling/tweaking what they sell for books for the past several months. Because of this tweaking/retooling, my novel has become the odd man out. Not that I blame for cutting ties with me early, because the sobering reality is that while it's very difficult to sell/pimp erotica, it's doubly difficult when it's your debut novel.

In hindsight, this book probably should've sat on the shelf for a while until I had established myself as a writer in other genres and then gradually build myself towards that end of the spectrum. But, it is what it is, and as a writer it's may basic duty to make the best out of this rights reversion.



The first thing I plan on doing (which by the time you read this post I will have already done) is to purchase another ten copies using my discount code before the book comes back to me. That way, I'll still have at least 20 copies left for sale while I pursue the following options.

1} New Title. Let's face the fact, Line 21 isn't really a very good title. Unless you're familiar with the Federal 1040 tax form, Line 21 doesn't mean diddly-squat to you. For those of you who don't know what the title infers (and that's about everyone), Line 21 on your tax form is where you put miscellaneous earnings. Basically the original title was one that, if anything, should've been considered as a placeholder. Since the current title really doesn't give any realistic idea on what the story is about, I need a title that more closely explains what the story is about.

2} New Cover. While I personally like the cover I got, I think one that isn't quite so provocative my do better for me in the long run. Or maybe a mixture of provocative and naughty would work better, at this point I really don't know.

3} New Price. The current non-discounted price is $11.99. I'm giving serious thought to possibly dropping the price to $10.99. Not so much as to undercut everyone else but more to make it just a tad more affordable for everyone else. I do plan on keeping the e-book price at $2.99, as that seems to be a good price for novels of similar length.

4} Other Assorted Headaches. I have other assorted headaches that will probably crop up as I figure out how best to get this book in the public's eye.

So there you have it. The current story line to my debut novel is coming to a close, and though no tears should be shed, I am a bit sad to see it coming to a close just the same.

If you're intrigued about my debut novel, now is the time to acquire either the e-book version or a print version from. There are a limited number of copies left, and once the go, it will be quite some time before the novel reappears in the cyberworld, so get yours today. Credit cards are cheerfully accepted, and details on how to purchase directly from me can be found here, while book reviews can be found here (copied from Amazon).

(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

7 comments:

  1. As one door closes another opens. Corny but true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey: Absolutely. The book of my writing journey is definitely multi-faceted, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't I ever seen that little video promo? It is excellent and really peeks one's interest. I have a confession to make. You know I bought your book and you might remember that my granddaughter was here when it arrived asking questions about the cover. I put the book up to read after she left. Well....I hid it very well and am hoping to uncover it one day and finally get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say that was a pretty good shot at a first publication. At least you got a book out there.

    You're right about the title. I certainly was baffled about what it meant.

    Good luck with the future of the book. I'm not in the market for any new books right now, but I wish you well.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. G.A.: Thanks for the compliment about the video. I have the video posted on my book blog, but it's quite possible to miss it sometimes.

    I have a few books like that as well. Not lost but due to the content they're kept safely away from those who are young or are squeamish about the content.

    Arlee: Thanks.

    Sometimes what is obvious to one, is definitely not obvious to others, which was definitely the case with this title.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, you have published with a real publisher, and that is no small feat! Corporations suck, and the fact that you have published before will help you get things published in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. M: Thanks, and this is very true.

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.