May 8, 2014

A Brief Regurgitation Of What's Been Going With Me

I is still back.

Since I was basically M.I.A. for the entire month of April, I thought I would regale you with tales of brave Ulysses and how his naked ears were tortured by the sirens sweetly singing.

Yeah, right. Fat chance that I'll be singing like Eric Clapton any time in this century, that's for sure. More like I'll be singing like William Hung (if I have to explain to you who this is, then my friend, you know diddly/squat about pop culture), if anything. Or Barney Fife, take your pick.

Anywho, for those who are curious, here is a brief regurgitation of the non-food variety of what I have been doing out the real world for the past month.

1} Work. Work sucks. Still doing my damnedest to get out my current job and find something new to do. I'm looking to do either a lateral (I'm a payroll clerk so I'm willing to transfer within my own pay grade), a promotion (like human resources, which I'm not overly fond of, but sometimes we gotta do things for the Benjamins), or a demotion (yeah, I actually took an exam in order to do the voluntary demotion. minute cut in pay, but hey, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do for peace of mind). I've been interviewing like crazy (6 interviews in the past calendar month) but so far, nothing.

2} Home. Home semi-sucks. Still lots of stress, some family related, some related to external issues that I have no control over but as a family we are peripheral players. 'Course, the perfecta of the previous point and this one has created health issues that I'm not overly fond of right now either.

3} Writing. Writing sucks. On all fronts. No new writing plus dealing with book going out of print soon plus finances still in pieces equals the plaintive wail from Larry Verne, "What am I doing here?!" I shouldn't say no new writing because that's not entirely true. I did manage to write a couple of paragraphs to my slush crime novella (someday I'll illuminate everyone once again on what that is all about) and I did figure out what movie I pulled the idea from: Animal Kingdom (no, it's not about animals), an Australian crime movie. Not for the faint of heart.

4} The other part of writing. The other part of writing, namely generating new product for the masses is still stuck in neutral with no discernible way to shift out. I have two completed novellas, of which one is ready for publication. The sticking point, as always, is money. Money makes my world go 'round, and if you were visiting me during the recently completed blogging challenge, you know that the money isn't going towards paying someone to publish my book, but to a graphics company for two covers and perhaps someone who can format my book for print.

5} There is no five, unless you dig Peanuts (yeah, another pop culture reference for ya to think about). Four is more than enough because to be brutally honest, do you really want to read about me prattling on and on and on and on and on about nothing at all?

So as not to end this on a downer, I bring you another commercial flashback from the 80's.



(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

7 comments:

  1. Who could forget Barney Phife?
    Don't feel bad- Last week I thought I'd be forced to quit work to stay alive, myself. When the boss decides to change order of production to you, by yourself, get to bend with arms reaching forward while swaying back n forth for 4 hours straight, n won't pay attention to the complaint your neck is now out of whack from it, never mind the nausea it causes- it's time to give up! Took 3 days to wake him up: I can't do that.
    Control is always an illusion, of course! At least you can sense progress... Ringo n a polar bear- how odd! Thanks, I need laughs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snaggle: Who indeed?

    Now that really sucks moose testicles. Certainly would like to know what was going on in that teeny little brain of his with that move.

    Sometimes yes, control is an illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing Ringo. :) Life can definitely suck, for sure. I'm not having a good week myself at work, but can see the light at the end of the tunnel. ('cause it's Friday.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, good old 1987. Whatever happened to wine coolers? Do they even exist anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn: I definitely agree with you there. Hope your weekend is a goody for you.

    S.R.: Yeah, they still exist, although hardcore advertising isn't the norm for them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry there is so much suckage going on...Laughing about William Hung though! Thank you.

    Many authors have had to keep grinding away (no pun intended) until hitting a sales stride. Keep at it, my friend. You're good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. M: Thankee.

    I intend to, but for now, it has been one step forward and fifteen steps backwards.

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.