January 15, 2015

I Was On My Mind

Yes, this is what you get for a post title when you're sitting in front of a blank screen when suddenly this 60's pop hit prances its way to the front of your head.


Nifty 60's pop song, isn't it?

Anywho, back to the business at hand, namely, what to talk about.

I had an idea for a music related post, but I decided to save that for next week, when I'm on my staycation (a staycation is when you to take vacation days from work but don't go anywhere) and thus have time to do it properly. Having put that aside for the moment, we went in search of another topic in which to wax poetically about.

I briefly thought about work, but you know, work sucks major hippo testicles right about now, and the last thing I want to do is go off on a multi-prong tangent of Lincoln Highway proportions. So back to the barrel of canola oil I go (yum!) in search of something semi-nutritious to write about it.

Wait for it....wait for it...wait for it....

I got it!

Word Association!

Lately, I've been having very bizarre word association thoughts. Like this post for example. The title is a direct play off the song.

Another example: I've been buying fruit at work for my lunch time dessert, and what they have for the fresh fruit of choice is....bananas. And what do think is the very first thing that pops into my head after I buy the banana?

No, it's not the banana house

It's this wonderful little sketch by Monty Python.

Still yet another example. I have great co-worker who goes by the name Ken. This song by REM is usually the end result whenever I interact with him.

And that, my friends, is the end of this post. Tune in next week when G.B. gets his act together and decides to touch upon a topic that he hasn't touched upon in quite sometime. In the meantime, check out this video of a song that I spent 20+ years looking for, and I found it, strangely enough, while writing this post.



(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

14 comments:

  1. Anything that reminds you of Monty Python is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I'm jealous you have time to think...
    2. I asked for earned vaca time over a month ago n got zero. Meanwhile I need to do landlord work fix-ups (be awake while they work), n have zero sleep time because they will not go around my schedule. So I have zero sleep between work shifts plus pay-hours were cut this month so I'm a grumpy person.

    But I am going to make a point to waste time playing Atari Flashback again. Thanks for reminding me, n we get free bananas at work! But I take them home to put in PB sandwiches. I made cranberry-banana muffins last week with very little sugar n were yummy!
    I wonder if wacky Monty Python influenced Wierd Al into making a #1 hit album this year? My daughter got it... (Al)

    My Tacky word association has been crazed by lack of any sleep this day off... But yay I got to open your comment page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) I rarely have time to think, unless I'm either home or driving my car.

      2) Boggles my mind that that your boss is that small about vacation time.

      3) In re: to doing repairs with lack of sleep, been there, done that, bits hippo testicles.

      4) I waste time playing computer Hearts, which is just as good.

      5) Yay!!!!

      Delete
  3. I thought I was strange with song associations and people, lol! Glad to know I'm not the only one. I have lots of chores that allow me thinking time. I call it meditation. I think I'd go nuts without that.

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have those kind of thoughts all the time. I have quite a few mundane duties at work that allow me that kind of thinking too.

      Delete
  4. I'm all for word associations. Sometimes I can't turn it off. Hence my tendency towards terrible puns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that my friend, is a very good thing indeed. :D

      Delete
  5. Funny how songs remind us of people - I do that, too, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only songs, but for me, certain personal catchphrases as well.

      Delete
  6. I've always liked that song by We Five. When it was a hit I was living just a few blocks off of the Lincoln Highway and until your post I never realized the proportions of that Highway. I always just thought it was a main thoroughfare in the area where I lived that they just called the Lincoln Highway because of the area association with Old Abe. Now I'm inspired to do a Lincoln Highway tour someday. That would be kind of cool.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done parts of the Lincoln Highway in the past couple of decades, as it was my secondary dream trip (US 6 from coast to coast was my first). Glad I was able to give a nudge towards that inspiration.

      Delete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.