April 2, 2014

B Is For Blogging

Back in the late spring of 2008, a good cyber friend of mine suggested that I move my musings and writings from the toxic wasteland of the chat rooms to another part of cyberspace called "blogging". If I did that, said he, I wouldn't have to worry about my writing being censored or removed by narrow minded people. I thought about it for a day or so, then said to myself, why not?

And thus, my very first blog Cedar's Mountain. Why Cedar's Mountain? One very small reason was that at the time I created that blog, I was hip deep with waders in the chat rooms and one of my personas was called Cedar Mountain. The reason why I called myself Cedar Mountain is because where I live in Newington CT, Cedar Mountain is but a stones throw of fifteen feet from my side yard to across the street. I love that mountain so much that my very first published short story was named after the mountain.

Anywho, I created Cedar Mountain as a dual outlet for my wit and my writing, which any sane blogger will tell you, a blog is a fantastic way to practice and fine tune your writing skills. In the proceeding five and a half years, I expanded my horizons with my blogging.

I got the short story bug in early 2009, so I created a short story blog (now closed) called Flashing Georgie's Shorts. This lasted for about a year and a half, and the challenging thing about maintaining that blog was writing the short stories for it. In mid 2010 I decided that my pictures should have a separate blog, so I created Shooting Suburbia. I also decided in the same year that some of my more explicit posts/ramblings should have a home of their own, so I created an adult blog called It's Always Saturday In Suburbia {disclaimer: this blog contains content that may be inappropriate/offensive to some. reader discretion is strongly encouraged} As I decided to become a writer, one of the first things I did was to create a website for my books, so in 2008 Books by G.B. Miller was born.

At this point, I'm sure you're wondering why your reading this A-Z Blog Challenge post on this blog as opposed to my first blog. Well my friends, in November 2013, I was suffering through a major attack of the blasé with my original blog, so after careful thought, I decided that I really needed a fresh start, thus Father Nature's Corner was created. This blog, while remaining true to the original in most aspects, has given me my third wind not only with my blogging, but with my writing as well.

I hope you can find the time to explore all of my blogs, as with close to 1,200 posts written, I'm sure you'll be able to find something to tickle your fancy.


(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Wow you have been really busy blogging reading up on all your history. Thank you so much for following me and its great to read up on some of your history. Isn't this challenge fun? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun to put things in perspective even for those who have followed you a while. It was nice to see you had some visitors from the the A-Z challenge yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eclectic: Thanks for stopping by to comment.

    Yeah, I got a lot written. So much in fact that from time to time, I do new twists on my old posts and call them "C.M.'s Classics."

    G.A.: I try to give people a good overview of who I am and what I am from time to time.

    And it is nice to see some new faces stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lot of posts! Good job, GB. I'm interested in your A-Z posts...it's event week so I may go a few days and then catch up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the need to have a few blogs to categorise my needs or thoughts or whatever it is. There was no way I wanted to add all my musical videos to Joey's Pad etc. I enjoy having them all, although sometimes they sit there for months with nothing new.

    Are you pleased you started this new blog and closed your old one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. M: Hope event week is going smoothly for you this time around. Yeah, that is a boatload of posts. Hard to believe that I've been at it for so long.

    Joey: I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, having a fresh start doing something often allows you to get that much needed 2nd wind. On the other, saying good-bye, even temporarily (as I see it) to something that has been such an integral part of my life for song is somewhat bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.