September 7, 2016

The Silence Of Radio's Neo-Modern Age

 Okay, so it's a seriously long title for a very short phrase: radio silence. Chances are, if you're under the age of 30 and not an narrow-minded activist of some kind, you probably don't get the concept of radio silence. Radio silence is basically keeping one's mouth sealed shut while doing something not-quite-legal so that you don't get caught, or keeping one's mouth sealed shut while trying to get the jump on the peoples doing something not-quite-legal. or simply keeping one's mouth shut while something worthwhile is going on (i.e. a concert not featuring rock music).

But, there are times when radio silence can be applied to other kinds of issues that don't necessarily fit that round hole so that you can nip it in the bud before it gets out of control.

For example, over the years, you have heard me do some stupendously intense venting about my co-workers, mostly over the ungraspable concept of comprehension. Well, over the past year or so, I've applied the concept of radio silence to dealing with recalcitrant co-workers, with remarkable results.

Ya see, I have a small percentage of co-workers who must have a minimum two and half page e-mail, consisting of back and forth replies before they can actually comprehend what I'm saying to them (often ad nauseum). Because of this thoroughly unnecessary neediness, I would frequently find myself answering those e-mails in an increasingly snarky/hostile tone and manner. Finally, it got to the point where I knew that if I responded to one more of their increasing obtuse replies, I would get into trouble.

So, what I would do is simply apply radio silence to this staff member by not answering their latest salvo. Presto! No more dealing with people who simply REFUSE. TO. GET. IT.

Ultimately, it made my work life a whole lot easier, because they no longer had someone they could drive nutty with their constant neediness.

On the flipside, radio silence came in handy whenever I would receive an e-mail from someone who was hell bent on causing me grief by insulting my intelligence (among other things). I usually got those kind of e-mails from union stewards who were trying to show how sanctimoniously right they were and how wrong I was. With those e-mails, I usually forwarded those to my supervisor to handle.

Yes, indeedie-doodie, radio silence is a job saver for me, since now, instead of unleashing the mouth from hell whenever I get an e-mail from someone who's comprehension skills are at the level of a toddler, I simply read and delete.

And occasionally, print and share the stupider ones with my co-workers.

Tune in next week, where the goal is to have something either a bit heavier or bit esoteric. In the mean time, here's a peacock from Clinton, Tennessee chillin' on the homestead.





(c) 2016 BOOKS BY G.B. MILLER. All Rights Reserved.

16 comments:

  1. There no use in arguing with an unarmed idiot. What's the saying? It's like trying to teach a pig to sing. Wish I could forward those to my top supervisor, but that's often where they come from...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a scary thing indeed. I've been fortunate that in the past few years, I've been blessed with intelligent supervisors. Which means they have no problem in commiserating with me from time as well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. True that. But on the flipside, it can drive people on the receiving slug nutty.

      Delete
  3. You saw our post last week, so you know we're big fans of radio silence. You also know what Mark Twain said. "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish that quote would be applied to state guv'ment. Certainly would make my life easier.

      Delete
  4. Words of wisdom here- I've been having trouble due to people mouthing off at me lately. Wish I could delete emails!

    I've been so PO'd at co-workers who continue to harass me while under pressure of can't stop what I'm trying to keep up with- that I have freaked out due to over-tiredness. At least the super told them all that one more time n they will be suspended- YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least that's a start. Gotta have a safe workplace environment to keep your sanity.

      Delete
  5. I approve of your policy. Sometimes the less said, the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Silence is golden, especially with those who need their hands held.

      Delete
  6. Radio silence sounds like a good idea but I don't see a lot of evidence in the world of folks able to maintain it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad but true. About the only ones that can do it are those, it seems to me, who are in the legal profession or insurance industry.

      Delete
  7. I remember the Thomas Dolby song "Radio Silence", but I don't recall ever having heard the term in the context that you've used here. But I've done this and find myself trying to do it more often--typically with family members. Maybe after the election things will get better for my situation.

    I do understand what you're talking about having spent many years in management. Some people are either incredibly dumb or they have their minds somewhere else than work--often it's both. Sometimes it's best to pretend that what are considered problems don't really exist because in reality they are not problems at all.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly.

      Currently, the latest fad in my work world is being the middleman for incompetent supervisors. I strongly resent having to explain to people why you ain't getting (insert appropriate noun) in your next paycheck.

      I've done a lot of radio silence with certain family members, but that's directly due to them really having no contact with our family for the past decade or so.

      Delete
  8. Often you remind me of people and incidents that make me very, very happy to be retired:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad that I can bring a smile to your face and a chuckle for your spirit every so often to lighten the day. :D

      Delete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.