March 27, 2015

How To Silence Your Newsfeed

Food for thought usually starts with a random observation, and this is about as random as you're gonna get from me.

My newsfeed primarily consists of people from all over the political spectrum, which for me, often creates a lively debate (usually one sided) because as probably the lone moderate Republican (WASPy all the way!) in my circle, I frequently bring a dose of reality to whatever happens to going on at the time.

Frequently, my newsfeed blows up whenever something (usually not good in the eyes of others) about gay rights/gay marriage happens in the US (and no, this does not surprise me). People start commenting left and right about all kinds of weird stuff that they dig up about politicians (Republicans from conservative states) who they think doth insert mouth in foot too much. And more often than not, it will really blow up when something (in their eyes) good happens (i.e. gay marriage passes in another state).

However, this week, when a story about that great state of theocracy called Utah did something positive for gay rights, SB 296, my newsfeed was eerily silent. Nary a peep was uttered about the fact that the Mormon Church, which basically runs Utah, worked hand in hand with the leaders from the LGBT community to create this bill, which ultimately passed with flying colors (no pun intended).

You would think with all the trials and tribulations (both real and manufactured) that the LGBT community has gone through, people would celebrate a major inroad that forged in the ultimate conservative state.

But no, not one solitary word from people in my newsfeed nor really in the pages that I follow. And before you ask, I do not follow George Takei's FB page. I did for a while, but I really got turned off by the reverse bigotry/alleged "open mindedness" that not only a solid majority of the commenters possessed, but (in my opinion) the owner of the page as well.

I'm a relatively reasonable person, and even though I've changed my opinion on some things over the years (like gay rights/gay marriage), which was directly due to people taking the time to both consider my position and offer their position w/o cramming it down my throat, there are others in which I will not change my position on, no matter how passionate you are about the subject.

So can someone, anyone, please explain to me why everything has to be an all-or-nothing proposition? Doesn't anyone understand the value of compromise so that you can build off a modest gain and turn it into something better? It doesn't necessarily have to apply to this issue, but to any issue, hot button or otherwise.

(c) 2015 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

19 comments:

  1. Wow - hadn't heard that about Utah. I'm very surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I when I'd first read about it in my local newspaper's website.

      Delete
  2. I for one am delighted that Mormons are our new BFFs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually pleasantly surprised over this, simply because the Mormon church has always been the most conservative religion out there. But like I've always felt, if you approach an issue with honey, ultimately you can get more people to see your p.o.v. and possibly persuade a few as well.

      Delete
  3. Here's one for you GB. In Belfast recently, a bakery shop refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding. The couple in question took the bakery to court on grounds of discrimination (we lead the way in Europe on Equal Rights here in Northern Ireland due to our history, but now positive discrimination has taken over). Anyway, back to the cake. The cake shop say that it went against their Christian beliefs and couldn't accept the order, although they didn't tell the people until 2 days after the order was taken. To be fair to them, the slogan that was requested on the cake was something along the lines of " Support Gay Marriage" rather than just a tribute to the two people getting married. In our ultra ultra conservatively religious environment here this has been the top news story for weeks and weeks. Both religions here - yes, there are only two - us and them - are more right than anywhere else on earth and preserve their right to be more right than the other side with great vigour, so no doubt this will go on for a while to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a few of those cases here, which has prompted a lot of backlash between those who want to consistently practice their religious believes and those who don't want them to.

      There was a case in Washington (state) in which the LGBT community as well as the government basically drove a bakery out of business because they refused to bake a cake for a gay couple on religious grounds.

      Delete
  4. Glad to know that gay marriage is finally becoming acceptable in the U.S. I was surprised about Utah, too! Total non-issue in Canada, as gay marriage has been legal here for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!

      I don't think the issue here is about gay marriage in Utah (or any other state for that matter) but more about equality for all, and not just for LGBT's. Most state legislatures have bent over so far backwards that they clean forgot that all people deserve to do what they want, not just a select few.

      Delete
  5. Surprised it didn't erupt about the bill signed in Michigan this week.
    All I will say is I am a Christian and believe in what the Bible says. And no one will ever sway me from that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, Indiana not Michigan. It's the weekend and my brain has already shut down...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will soon. George Takei is already calling for a boycott of Indiana. I used to have a lot of respect for him, but his unwillingness to compromise on certain things caused me to think long and hard about him as an activist. He reminds of those activists from the group ACTUP, who used to around and out people before they were ready to come out.

      Delete
  7. Utah did something positive for gay rights? Well, that's a surprise! I'm all for it. Didn't hear a peep about it here in Canada, although I do irregularly read the New York Times. (I have an online subscription.) Yeah, it's pretty tough to draw the line between everyone's rights. I think that a certain amount of compromise needs to be an option for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Without the art of compromise being used extensively, most hot button issues will remain polarizing. Which doesn't do anyone any good.

      Delete
  8. I am not a democrat or a republican nor a centrist nor an independent. God forbid I am human and respectful of all human rights. Good for the Mormons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is good for the Mormons. A little honey will go a very long way in resolving an issue.

      Delete
  9. Hi GB -- Just FYI, I answered your "Ask Me Anything" question over at my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kind lady, I will go over and check it out.

      Delete
  10. Wow. I truly had no idea Utah did that. Also, to go off of what you said about conveying your message without cramming it down someone's throat, I hate this 'two wrongs make a right mentality', i.e. some politician wants to ban gay marriage, so a group of LGBT people go and make out in front of them to gross them out or offend them. Newsflash: they aren't going to change their mind, they'll probably just hate you more, and it only makes you look like an asshole. It's not justified because the other guy is a bigger asshole. Two wrongs don't make a right, especially when it comes to changing someone's mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone really did. I certainly didn't until I happen to see the story in my local paper online.

      I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly. I am just a shade under 50, which would make me conservative somebody. However, I am a moderate and I'm will to consider someone's viewpoint on any issue, so long as they're respectful to mine.

      A good example would be the issue on gay marriage. It took roughly 8 years to change my opinion on it, and while I still believe a marriage should be between a man and a woman, I'm certainly not going to lose sleep or get upset over two people (of either sex) getting married.

      Life goes on and the more people realize that point, the better off we'll be.

      Delete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.