April 13, 2016

I'd Like A Dinner With My Movie, Please!

Normally, I would post a link to my Tumblr blog so that you can read the freshest, most tastiest writing morsel that you can lay your hands on, right from the get go. Today, I will post a random picture, such as this, in order to give you a little pizzazz for your visit.
I Are Writer!
Yes, that is my darling 15 year old daughter Jenelle, taken a few years ago. Now oddly enough, this picture of Jenelle slightly dovetails with the topic of today's post, which is not about her recent decision to become a vegetarian (morality issues), but about food related movies.

Now, truth be told, I'm a sucker for movies based on a slice-of-life event, such as Akeelah & The Bee (Scripps Howard Annual Spelling Bee) or A Grandpa For Christmas (Grandfather becomes temporary guardian for his estranged granddaughter). In today's post, we cover movies based on restaurants, whether they be a day slice-of-life or longer term slice-of-life. These are the kind of movies that I enjoy watching over and over again. So in no particular order of importance, here are four of my faves (four was all that I could remember).

1} The Hundred Foot Journey: it took me about a half dozen sittings to watch this movie in its entirety, as I'm kind of weird when it comes to watching movies on cable. If I see a movie that piques my curousity while I'm surfing, I'll watch the last twenty minutes or so to see how it ends. If I like, I'll watch the movie all the way through. Anywho, this movie is about an Indian family who moves to France and opens up a restaurant exactly 100 feet across from another. I found it to be very enjoyable,  sentimental without being sappy, and considering how many people had their hand in the director's pie, it came off seamless and smooth.

2} Dinner Rush: same principle with this one. This one covers a night in the life of a typical hot/hip New York restaurant. Features a triple plot line of the owner, who's a bookie, mobsters who want to move it, a degenerate gambler sous chef and the hot head chef. Fantastic movie that gives everyone a glimpse of a restaurant that we could probably never experience in our lifetime.

3} No Reservations: this is a remake of the French version. The basic plot is a top chef becomes the guardian of her niece after her sister is involved in car accident. A very cool movie that revolves around the restaurant that she works in and how she had to change her lifestyle to accommodate her niece. Stars Catherine Zeta-Jones and features a very good turn by Abigail Breslin, who had a very good turn in the horror comedy Zombieland.

4} Bella: this one is a curious choice for me, since over the years, movies that are roughly 75% or more dialogue do not make my viewing cut. Why? I've seen some truly horrendous bombs over the years (John Mellencamp for example) that had nothing but dialogue. This one intrigued me enough that I watched almost the entire movie. Basically, it involves a waitress who is fired and the owner's brother, who is the chef, ultimately spends the day talking and getting to know her. I consider this to be a very good movie, almost like watching a novella come to life.

So my friends, are there any types of genre-bending movies that you like to watch? By genre-bending, I mean something like, for example, movies based on particular slice-of-life event.

Oh, and if you feel like commenting on Jenelle's change of eating habits, go for it. It took me a couple of days to get over the shock, but I'm pretty good now. And no, I really don't have anything against vegetarians. Or vegans for that matter. Which she's adamant about not becoming.

(c) 2016 BOOKS BY G.B. MILLER. All Rights Reserved.

18 comments:

  1. Man, I haven't seen any of these! I'm behind in my movie viewing. The last movie I saw that was (sort of) set in a restaurant was "Food Truck" by Jon Favreau. It was okay, if a bit predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallmark Mysteries and Movies Channel has shown some restaurant based movies over the years that are pretty good too.

      Delete
  2. We don't eat beef or drink milk, so her new eating habits don't shock me.
    Can't think of something genre bending. For a good food movie though, I recommend Chef. Slice of life and very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a cook movie. I'll have to check it out.

      This doesn't shock me much either. I have co-workers and friends who are vegetarians, and theirs was for health and taste reasons. It did catch me by surprise though, but, live goes one. You learn to pick your battles, and this one really isn't worth getting my panties in a bunch about.

      Delete
  3. I was vegan back in the day, but used to cheat and eat cheese sometimes. I eventually migrated back to being a semi meat eater (when I was a guest at someone's home, I would just eat the meat dish served to me and not say anything out of politeness.) So I call myself a flexitarian these days - I quietly eat a vegetarian diet, but will eat meat here and there.

    I'll check out those movies - I've meant to see a couple of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Flexitarian". Now that,is a cool description. I don't think that my daughter will ever become a vegan because she loves dairy products. Plus, with the extracurricular activities that she pursues, she needs all the carbs/protein she can get.

      Delete
  4. What??? films too??? Strange stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lana and I watched the 100 foot journey. I figured I wouldn't like it but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very interesting and enjoyable movie. One of those types that I never get tired of watching.

      Delete
  6. I only watch documentaries, so... Nothing genre-bending about that, I guess. I'll watch anything that teaches me something and is thoughtfully edited. If it's also beautiful to look at, that's gravy.

    I went veggie for a couple of years, but I actually ended up developing signs of clinical protein deficiency. After I started eating meat again I felt much better. Now I eat meat minimally, less than once per day, but I do eat plenty of eggs and dairy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is now on a egg and hummus kick for her protein. Which is the one thing that will worry me, because she's such an active teen (marching band, skating and dance) that I don't want her to get burned out because she's not getting the proper nutrition.

      I'll do documentaries from time to time, but they really have to be something that I haven't a clue about or have been turned off by Hollywood killing the topic.

      Delete
  7. I am an avid movie fan but not only have I not seen the ones you listed, I've never even heard of them. I love blood and gore movies but not zombie movies. My diet is anything as long as total calories don't top 1500 a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No blood and gore here, that's the domain of my wife & mother. I do like horror comedy, action and dramas of all kinds. That's a good diet to have.

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen the American version of No Reservations, but the German one, Mostly Martha, is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw a little of the French version but stopped when I realized that I saw the American version. I'll have to check that one out.

      Delete
  9. The 100 Foot Journey was a good film, I think I reviewed it on my blog some time back. I would recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

      Delete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.