February 17, 2016

My World Can Be Yours: 2/13/16

As per the ab-norm, a fresh post is to be had at I Are Writer!

Today's update is about my staycation. As most of you know, I've parlayed using two days worth of leave accruals (vacation and p.l. time) into a four paid/six overall days off from work. And unlike other staycations experienced by me, in which the best laid plans (aka Ravishing Ronald-The DeNatured Boy)* get steamrolled by a gruesome reality check (aka The Crusher)*.



Anywho, this time, the plan of attack that I had all scoped out was very simple: write. It didn't matter what the writing project was, I needed to write. And that required, among other things, to seriously disconnect from the 'Net. Which means that one of the two writing projects that I'm currently juggling couldn't be done on this computer (aka Windows 7). It had to be done on my almost as old as my cell phone (11 years) XP computer (9 years). Why? No 'Net. Made things super duper simple as answering yes or no to the question of, is you a human?

So. We managed to churn out, as of the day this post being written, I churned out 2,562 words. Now if you whip out your handy dandy calculator and do this simple math problem:

2,562 words/5 days=

You get for an answer: 512.4 per day. Now for most of you semi-professional and extremely talented folks out there who could write themselves out of a blinding snowstorm in their skivvies, that may seem like serious chump change (pardon me, do you have change for a nickel?). But for yours truly, who has bored people ad nauseum about his health issues for the past several years, this is actually quite an accomplishment. For those of you who wonder just exactly what WPM speed is, it's somewhere in the general area of my soon to be 15 year old daughter's age. Yeah, it's just that slow.

But, while I've been having a ton o' fun writing and not remembering anything about work, I did do some serious stuff as well. Like, remembering the wife's 54th b-day and not celebrating Valentine's day. And actually spending some quality time with both childrens (soon to be 15 year old daughter and 23 1/2 year old son), and actually finding out that said daughter now has a boyfriend (as opposed to a friend that is a boy), and sadly, cleaning up yet another non-immediate family member financial miscue.

So that is all the fun that is fit to print, and be sure to tune in next week, when I'll unveil the new titles to my prequel novel and sequel novella, and why Connecticut taxpayers are getting the unexpected shaft from former Guv'nor John Rowland. And remember, I can also be found on Amazon, Smashwords and Books by G.B. Miller, as well as on Facebook.

*two wrestling characters from a classic Bugs Bunny cartoon.

(c) 2016 BOOKS BY G.B. MILLER. All Rights Reserved.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very well-spent staycation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That output of words sounds pretty similar to what I get when I get some time off work to focus on writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had this kind of output in quite a while. Work has been the bane of my existence and usually the only thing I like to do afterwards is crash.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your daughter's new boyfriend! I recall my own social life at that time, and it was not lacking in drama. The first true love is always the most intense. Or maybe she's just enjoying the status of having a boyfriend, without falling in love, which would probably be better. That's what I would recommend to my younger self, if I could meet her. (Although I wouldn't listen to my own advice, for sure.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Her boyfriend is someone she's known since kindergarten, so there you go. From what I understand, she is starting to become a boy magnet, so to speak.

      Delete
  4. Hey that's still a damn good output! It's way more than either of us (zero words). And XP has been around that long? Man, that makes me feel old. I still have a computer running XP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee.

      Sadly, yes, XP has been around for just that long (about 10+ years or so). My son had Vista at one point and it was simply horrendous, and I actually had to pay extra to get XP back in '07.

      Delete
  5. My goodness - your daughter is getting so grown up!

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.