April 5, 2017

IWSG 18:Life Indeed Does Go On

IWSG
Greetings and Salutations to one and all!

In the midst of early Spring and the fantabulous A-Z Challenge 2.017 edition, we have the monthly IWSG post, of which I am very glad to be part of.

As promised a few weeks ago, I am still participating in the monthly IWSG thingy (for lack of a better word to describe it), but it seems that the optional question presented for everyone this month really doesn't do it for me, since I was a one and done (2014) participant in the A-Z Challenge.

But, a promise is a promise and if you can't keep your word, then what good are you really? So, the old college try give we shall.

My lament today is one that has always been with me since the 2nd half of the previous decade, which is production. Some people can churn quality product at a rate that does boggle my mind (publishes a minimum 2 books per year), and some move at a steady pace with their quality product (1 book or less per year). Me? I fall somewhere just south of the latter, in that I move a snail's pace with my writing.

Whereas some people's leisurely pace is due to other commitments, my leisurely pace is due to a more insidious reason: genetics.

Yes, genetics. Genetics has cursed me with a malady that causes the muscles in my hands to atrophy, the nerves in my fingers go dead, and extremely painful hand fatigue kicks in. The end result of God's handiwork is that my output is roughly two completed page per weekend. Yes, you read correctly: two pages per weekend. While I do chip away with a few sentences here and there, the bulk of what I write takes place on the weekend, when I'm sufficiently recovered from work.

The one important change that I had to make for my writing was the addition of a plug-in keyboard for my laptop. As my hands could no longer comfortably use the original, I was left with no other alternative than to use a plug-in, which fortunately for me and my XP computer, works.

So while I may have a lot of insecurities with my writing, the one constant has been the gradual lack of dexterity for typing. And while I do use voice software for work, I have a ginormous mental block when it comes to writing fiction.

But, as they say, life indeed does go on. Have a sparkly Prince Spaghetti day and thanks for stopping by!

(c) 2017 BOOKS BY G.B. MILLER. All Rights Reserved.

10 comments:

  1. That's a tough struggle as a writer. You still write and produce books so that's a great testimony that nothing can stand in your way if you really want it bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tough. This past month has been particular brutal simply because of the abnormal amount of handwriting at work I have to perform (there are some things at my job that you simply have to complete the old fashioned way). But I do soldier on.

      Delete
  2. "thingy" LOL! You can call it a blog hop. :P

    I am sorry to hear about what happens to your hand. Being a writer, that has to be tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Blog hop" simply eluded me this morning as I wrote this post while eating breakfast, so "thingy" was the all purpose word for the day.

      Exceptionally. Up until late 2015, I used to be able to break up the monotony of writing on my computer by writing with pen and paper. But it has gotten worse and I really do need a break from all the writing I do at work so that I can recover.

      Delete
  3. Snail's pace Charles. That's my nickname.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that's a good nickname to have. Only means that what you produce is of the highest quality.

      Delete
  4. That's a nightmare about your hands because I know you like to write with a pen on paper too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exceptional nightmare since everything I do at work has a direct correlation to what I do in my leisure time. Too much writing at work, of either kind, translates to not wanting to any kind of writing at home.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry to hear of your hand struggles. It has to be very frustrating. As far as your writer's block goes, I have every confidence you will bounce back successfully:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's not so much actual writer's block since I can write very well, it's going from typing my words/dialogue/scenes etc. to speaking them that creates the mental block with my writing. I have lighter one at work, but it's much easier to overcome there because it is work.

      Delete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.