April 23, 2014

T Is For Two Page Shorts

Like I'd mentioned earlier, I became infatuated with flash fiction, which was mostly due to this post back in late 2008. In early 2009, I started writing up a storm and ultimately churned out some 5 1/2 dozen plus short stories, most no longer than two pages, in roughly six months. But what to do with them? I certainly couldn't submit them as is, as they were really about as unpublished as you can get, but I really wanted to share them with everyone.

Thus, a new short story blog was created. Called Flashing Georgie's Shorts, it became a new home for the bulk of my flash fiction, as well as a few other traditional (length between 8 and 12 pages) short stories. Even though a lot of people told me not to do it, because once you publish something, you can't submit anywhere unless you specifically state it's a reprint, I did anyways. Not for the accolades, but more for practicing/honing my craft, such as it was back then. Each story that I had published, not only did I get comments on it, I also was able glean all kinds of writing tips from all kinds of writers in the process.

What made these stories interesting, at least for me, is that I covered almost every kind of situation under the sun. I wrote about a prisoner execution, guerrilla warfare, hybrids, alien lifeforms, inanimate objects, crime, you name it, I probably wrote it. Now a few of those stories I did find homes for, of sorts. I had one story, which basically was a modern twist on cannibalism, which got rejected a couple of times and I'm pretty sure that it got stolen as well (long story short, submitted to an anthology that didn't go anywhere but I think in essence was a way for someone to collect horror stories. Haven't been able to prove it, yet, though), and three others which I basically rewrote, tweaked and eventually self-published as a short story trilogy.

I wish I could give everyone a link to that blog, but unfortunately, in late 2010 after I had someone, who I later determined meant me no harm, spend several hours on the blog reading all the stories thus scaring the crap out of me, I closed the blog. The best I can do to show everyone what kind of short stories I wrote back then, is to direct you to my adult blog{disclaimer: this link will take you to my adult blog, which contains content that may be  considered inappropriate/offensive to some. reader discretion is strongly encouraged}, where I have reposted a short story specifically for this blog post. The story is called "Stopped"  and this was originally published on my now closed short story blog Flashing Georgie's Shorts on June 10, 2009.


(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

7 comments:

  1. It's funny that when ever we get stats that show someone has been on our blog for several hours it always freaks us out. You are never quite sure if they are friend or foe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey: Most definitely. That particular incident took me about two days to figure out who it was (she no longer blogs) and afterwards, I felt like an idiot for overreacting the way I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you had to close the other one. I think practicing and honing your skills was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex: In the year plus that it was open, I was able to tighten up my writing and picked up a world of writing tips from fellow writers and casual readers. It was one of the best ideas that I came up with from blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do have to be careful on social media
    http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't read that one before, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comely Charlotte: Thanks for stopping by.

    After my experiences in the chat rooms, I am usually very careful what I post on social media. This was simply an aberration (although a stressful one) of my day.

    M: You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.