April 17, 2014

O Is For On The Outside Looking In

This one is a toughie for me to write, as when I originally came up with this topic I did have a faint idea on what I wanted to write about. However, roughly a month later (this originally being writing in late February) I have not a clue on what to write about. However, if you're one of my long time readers of this blog, you know that when I get just a little bit stuck on what to write, I wind up winging it in from the upper deck of Wembley Stadium.

Which is to say that I write like a politician bloviates on why more government and more taxes is a good thing.

So, here we go.

I have never been part of what people would call back in younger years, a clique. Didn't matter what was going on, who was involved or what it detailed, I was always the outsider. I guess you could partially chalk it up to being a major introvert throughout my life, which considering what I'm doing right now in public is very very strange, and partially chalk it up to an innate love of being a jack of all trades and a master of none.

So I acquire just enough institutional knowledge to not only keep me functioning, but to make me an indispensable individual for whatever particular unit/group I'm working for. I also have an innate desire of being left to my own devices, which I'm sure sounds to you like I'm being anti-social (or uncle-social as I like to call it), but in actuality, being left to my own devices allows me unfettered access to pay attention to my surroundings, aka grapevines with an infinite number of tentacles.

Ultimately, showcasing myself as anti-social to the people who don't really matter in my life (i.e. the majority of my co-workers), allows me to always be on the outside looking in, which if you think about it, isn't really that bad of a place to be.

(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you--being on the outside is a pretty nifty place to be. One can throw convention and expectations to the wind; after all, the unexpected is pretty much what people expect of the "outsider". It provides a different, more distant but also more objective, perspective to the world. I like it :)
    Guilie @ Quiet Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on the outside my entire life too. Never completely fit in anywhere -- not in my family, school, university, community, profession, workplace etc. I don't worry about it though. I just fit in to the small extent I can and then say "fuck it." I am who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably catch a lot more things that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that bad of a place to be at all - I've done that at times myself. Good O topic, G!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gullie: Thanks for stopping by.

    Absolutely correct on all accounts. Being the consummate outsider allows me to be myself yet be the conformist when a given situation calls for it.

    Debra: That about sums it up in a nutshell. Never change to satisfy anyone else unless you absolutely want to.

    Alex: I've caught more than my fair share of grief and more than my fair share of being the go-to guy when needed.

    Lynn: Thanks. I try to look at things from a different viewpoint from time to time. Makes things interesting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing wrong with being un-social. I've never been part of a clique either :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. M: I'm the king of anti-social at work, especially since I've gotten into so much trouble at work over the years due to everyone's collective thin skin.

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.